Wednesday, February 16, 2011

In to the awkward phase...

So, my last release was in December. Now it's the middle of February. I don't have any manuscripts pending publication or even subbed. I sort of think of this as the awkward phase of writing. I'm currently writing two things, one novel and one novella, but neither one is anywhere near completion. I feel good that I'm finally tackling a novel length story. And, I'm encouraged that the muses are whispering so furiously in my ear that I couldn't bear to just work on one thing at a time. That has to be a good sign. But on the other hand, I just somehow want *poof* one of the stories I'm working on to magically appear fully formed onto the page so I can get on with it and hopefully get it published, so I can finally share it with you.

I'm like a five year old sitting in the back of my parents' car so excited to get to where we're going that I can't help but ask "Are we there yet?!" every two seconds. That's what it feels like when I'm writing. I think I need to remember that I'm an adult now, not five, and that I should take time to enjoy the scenery. Because that's why I started writing in the first place wasn't it? Not because I was desperate to finally see the finished product in print, but simply because I loved the process. I loved writing. I loved creating. It was never about 'getting published.' In fact, it's only been very recently that working with editors, and publishing, and marketing have become a part of my life. I guess I'm just so excited to show people what I've been working on. Patience has never been one of my virtues. hehe.

I'm probably getting close to half way done with the first draft of my novel. The main characters, Kyle and Emory, have become very near and dear to my heart already. Especially Emory. In the novella I'm working on I'm experimenting with flashbacks, so I'm having fun trying something new.

I wish I was a faster writer. I wish there were more hours in the day and that I didn't have to spend so many of the hours that I am afforded at the day job and taking care of other things. Seriously... does someone want to come and clean my apartment for me? But, c'est la vie. Time will march forward and I will complete my next story... when I complete it. That's the best I can do, and it'll have to be good enough.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'll get back to awkwardly working away on my stories. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment